Prof. Sengupto was the first Director of IIT Madras. Students remember Prof Sengupto as a grandfatherly figure on campus, with the welfare of the campus — and its denizens — always on his mind. The IIT Madras of Prof Sengupto’s days laid solid foundations for the teacher-student interactions that form one half of the charter that gave birth to IIT Madras; the other half, to do research, was started in his time but took firm root during the tenure of Prof A Ramachandran, the second director.
The beautiful campus that IIT Madras continues to have today, and the novel touches that we take so much for granted today — the IIT M logo, its motto, the hostel names, the Gajendra Circle — all of these we owe to Prof Sengupto.
In Mr. Pukhraj Jain’s words: Under Prof. B.R. Sengupto’s leadership teachers and staff built this institution. We all want to remember their leadership based on principles, heart full of compassion and selfless service that was needed for the success of this now great institution.
The first talk in this series is by Dr. E.G.Ramachandran, Retired Senior Professor- Metallurgy- IIT Madras on 19th December, 2013, 5.00 pm at IC & SR Auditorium.
Dr. E. G. Ramachandran was born in Bangalore in 1925. After obtaining his M.Sc. Degree in Physics in 1944, he became a research scholar under Prof. Sir C.V.Raman. In 1945, he joined the University of Sheffield and obtained his doctorate in Metallurgy in 1947. Dr.Ramachandran has been in teaching, research and development programmes in Metallurgy from 1947. During his long years of service to the metallurgical profession, he received many honours, such as the Presidentship of the Indian Institute of Metals. He has been an active sportsman excelling in tennis. He and his wife are avid listeners of South Indian classical music.